65.6M refugees as of 2017
~ 50% of refugees are children (UNICEF)
~ Only 50% of the children attend a primary school. Even worst, only 22% attend a secondary school and 1% attend university.
~ More than 50% of the school-age children under UNHCR’s mandate have no school to go to.
Stuck in limbo, their educational opportunities all but end.
Hello Future creates a path forward for refugees by providing hardware, connectivity and on-site digital literacy workshops.
Benefits of Digital Literacy, Connectivity and Information Fluency
- Mobile technology focused
- Targeting adolescents because they quickly adopt new technology and are more likely to investigate other resources
- Can disseminate new knowledge to family members, both older and younger
- Benefit the most from digital literacy because they have the greatest risk of exploitation, low wage labor, early marriage, etc.
- Addresses immediate intellectual and psychosocial needs